Friday, May 1, 2009

Teacher Secrets: MomDot's Small Talk Six

Those MomDotters are at it again...Small talk Six! On Saturdays.

Today’s topic is “6 things you always wondered about any of your teachers or professors when you were in school.” You can answer this with a list of 6 words, 6 phrases, 6 sentences, 6 paragraphs, 6 photos, 6 videos, etc . . .


This one is going to be fun!
1) In 7th grade I had a History teacher that I loved dearly. He was a blast. But I always wondered if he was gay or not and if he was why he felt he couldn't come out about it. He still would have been a cool teacher and his students still would have loved him.

2) In 7th grade we got a new teacher at school. his name was Mr. Joachim. He was young and very good looking. All the girls had crushes on him, including me. In 8th grade, I had him for a science class (I think it was science...). My assigned seat was in one of the front rows of the classroom. I walked to school daily because the junior High was only about 2 miles from my house. One day we were having a dance after school, so I wore a nice dress.

That same morning, in class, Mr. Joachim said "Class, Doesn't Miss Smith look nice today?" Umm, WTF??? "You know, I saw her walking down the street today on my way to work and almost crashed the car as I did a double take to get a better look." Holy $^!% ...Are you kidding me? I turned about 20 shades of red!

The next day, I found out that he lived in our town home/condo complex where my Dad was the Home Owner's Association President. I had made the mistake of telling my Dad what my teacher had said to/about me. I want to know what my Dad said/did to Mr. Joachim at the next HOA meeting because he never acted quite the same with me after that.

3) I always wanted to ask if my college freshman Philosophy 101 Professor was dropping acid or something. He came up with some pretty bizarre things for us to write/read about and his lectures were really out there.

4) I want to ask why my {and my Husband's} High School Government teacher, Mr. Crosson, was such a bigot {My Husband is Hispanic, sort of...}. He hated my Husband~then~boyfriend, so much so that his Mom came down to the school three times to talk to him about the treatment her son was receiving in class.

5) I want to ask my second grade teacher, Mrs. Wheeler, how she knew, when I was all of 7 years old, that I would turn out to be a writer someday. {She told this to my Mom at a Parent/Teacher Conference}

6) I have always wanted to ask our High School Football coach, Jim Boeke, how the heck he went from playing for the Dallas Cowboys to acting {He played Dauber's father, Mr. Dybinski, on the ABC sitcom Coach. You can't miss him, he's 6'5!} and still taught English and coached football at Westminster High School. He is a cool dude. He has been in several TV shows and movies, including M.A.S.H., A Man Apart {With Vin Diesel}, Star Trek VI, Dragnet, North Dallas Forty, etc., but never had an ego trip. He is the character actor you can never name but always recognize.

That's my list and I'm sticking to it!

14 comments:

LadyStyx said...

#6...how cool is that? Ya know, I mentioned the name to my hubby and he correctly picked out which Star Trek movie and character he played in it... what can I say, my man's a real geek.

Amanda said...

I'd rather teach and act than get hit by those guys on the football field too!

I am Harriet said...

I loved your post!
Bigots don't belong in schools that's for sure.

Rick Springfield is 59? No way!

~ Kathy ~ said...

My list is based on my highschool teachers??? don't really know why I choose them...I guess I had more attitude then and they weren't soo cool....lol because I had some really cool ones in elementary and middle school....oh well! your list was great!...oh to act with Vin Diesel....

shopannies said...

my sister was blessed with a teacher that had my dad and uncle did not like them did not like my sister or cousin either

conversationswithmoms said...

I had the same great teacher as number 1 that I wondered if he was gay. Too bad I forgot to put it as one of my questions.

Staci said...

#2 is just crazy! I can't imagine hearing a teacher say that to me! Sometimes people just don't think through what comes out of their mouths.

Megan said...

Very interesting post! I'm guessing I would've had the same questions had I been in your shoes. =)

A Psych Mommy said...

Isn't that awesome how you teacher knew that you would be a writer? That's pretty amazing!

Always a Southern Girl said...

Great list!! Now that you mention it, I think that my college Philosophy Professor was probably dropping acid too!!

~Holly~ said...

Your list is great and so specific! Love it! I don't know why I think the teacher's lounge is so "mysterious" but when I was in grade school I always wondered! Your #6 is a great one!! :D Thanks for visiting my blog!

Heather said...

That's nuts about your teacher saying that! Even if he wasn't a pervert, that's so inappropriate! And how embarrassing! Yikes.

Cheryl Podolsky said...

Divine justice for Mr. Crosson would be finding himself the victim of a hate crime.

Oh, and philosophy teachers? Haven't come across a single one who wasn't way out there!

ChicagoLady said...

Excellent questions all.

Happy New Year Pictures, Images and Photos Happy New Year Blingee Pictures, Images and Photos Happy New Year 2009 Pictures, Images and Photos Happy New Year Pictures, Images and Photos
 

Those Damn Voices Again.... | © 2008~2009 Last Shreds Of Sanity™ ~ Baby Roca's Mama™ ~ All Rights Reserved |